Tuesday, April 13, 2010

My life in the 20's!

The 20's, The Roaring Twenties, a time for dreams to come true, people were moving to the big cities and trying new things. Harlem was jumping and singers and artists were making themselves known. There are good and bad things to the 20's. I would like to be in the 20's as a singer something like Billy Holiday without the pain and the the drugs. Speakeasies would be filled with my voice. Soulful melodies of days past would warm the hearts of a colorful crowd.

I would love to watch the Great Migration and The Harlem Renaissance. People like Langston Hughes and Duke Ellington walking the streets, would be amazing.

Id make a name for myself among the greats. My name would be in the lights of clubs all over the world just like Josephine Baker's.

Although the Roaring Twenties had many great attributes the bad cannot be forgotten. Life was dangerous with organized crime on the rise. People were killed for telling the truth to put criminals away, and that is not the place for me. The St. Valentines Massacre was brutal and scary! Racsim in the South was still horrible, and the KKK was at its peak.

The 20's were a revolutionary time but Im going to stay in the present.

No comments: